Meet with a consultant for an in-person one-one-one or group appointment to review a paper. Go to Our Scheduler to view consultant availability. If you have scheduled an in-person consultation, please review our In-Person Appointment Information prior to your appointment.
Meet with a consultant online one-on-one or with your group to review your paper. Schedule your appointment and view appointment details in Our Scheduler. The green "join session" link will appear in your upcoming appointments one hour prior to start time.
Should you experience technical difficulties accessing your appointment, email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Group Consultation Information
Select one member of your group and have them schedule the appointment. Before the appointment is confirmed, leave the email addresses of all group members as a "note" so that we can add them to the appointment manually. If your group has signed up for an online appointment, follow the same directions and let your group know that each person will receive a Zoom link from the consultant before the appointment.
Come write in The Writing Studio even if you don’t have an appointment! We offer plenty of space with great views for individuals or groups, and the great thing is that when writer’s block hits, a writing consultant is right there and available to help.
In-Person Drop-in Consulting
Available for quick questions, no appointment necessary. Sessions are approximately 20 minutes, but can go longer if demand for consultants is low. If you plan to attend Drop-in Consulting, please review our In-Person Appointment Information prior to your attending.
Preparing for Your
Writing consultants are on your team and want to help you become a better writer! Here’s what you can do to make the most of your consultation:
- Make a list of your questions and concerns and bring the list to your consultation.
- During your consultation, ask questions until you understand a concept. We love questions!
- Before attending, upload your paper to your appointment in our scheduler.
- Plan on booking multiple consultations to review a longer paper (4-6+ pages, depending on genre). You can book three appointments per week; there is no limit using drop-in consulting.
Seek to Grow as a Writer
- Understand that writing consultants will provide feedback and answer any questions you have, but they cannot edit your work. You are the ultimate owner of the paper.
- Take the new skills you learned and apply them to unreviewed or future writing. For example, if you learned how to use a reverse outline, try making a reverse outline on the next paper you write. If you and your consultant addressed a comma splice, check the rest of your paper for comma splices as well.
- For best results, revise based on the feedback you received in one consultation before attending your next consultation.
Working on a thesis, dissertation, or article? Interested in developing your creative writing skills? Join a writing group!
Writing groups are a great way to hold yourself accountable during longer writing projects and build writing skills. The Writing Studio can help you form successful writing groups by connecting you with other students working on a similar academic level and with similar writing projects.
Types of Writing
- Annotated Bibliography
- Compare & Contrast
- Group Writing Projects
- Literature Review
- Methods Paper
- Narrative Writing
- Personal Statements
- Reaction Paper
- Reflection Paper
- Results Section/Paper
- Rhetorical Analysis
- Scholarship Essay
- Slideshow Presentation
- SOAP Notes
- Synthesis Paper
About the Writing Studio
The Writing Studio provides one-on-one writing consultations to all students at any stage of the writing process. You can work with a Writing Studio Consultant on any type of writing: course papers, scholarship essays, personal statements, other application documents, and more. In a consultation, you will learn revision strategies for developing your academic and professional writing skills.
All Writing Studio Consultants complete College Reading & Learning Association (CRLA) Level I Certification training during their first year of consulting, and we work hard to ensure that all consultants have the tools and resources to assist you to the best of their ability.
There is no cost to attend a Writing Studio consultation!
Graduate Writing Studio Consultants
Tate AldrichLearn more about Tate
Jack ArbuckleLearn more about Jack
Sylvia FosterLearn more about Sylvia
Amber GiaconaLearn more about Amber
Darby GillilandLearn more about Darby
A.G. HoldierLearn more about A.G.
Rachel MurrayLearn more about Rachel
Elizabeth MuscariLearn more about Elizabeth
Martha PearceLearn more about Martha
John PlavcanLearn more about John
Nicole RikardLearn more about Nicole
Ana RodriguezLearn more about Ana
Blake ShermanLearn more about Blake
John ShipkoLearn more about John
Eden ShulmanLearn more about Eden
Emily VanceLearn more about Emily
Madeline VardellLearn more about Madeline
Undergraduate Writing Studio Consultants
Composition I Specialists
English Language Tutors