Tips for Academic Success
Many students don’t know where to start when wanting to achieve success in the classroom. Read our tips below to start maximizing your success at the U of A!
In Class Tips
- Attend all classes.
- Read & prepare before class.
- Sit in the front of the classroom.
- Take effective notes.
- Review, edit, and reorganize your notes after class.
- Schedule weekly study time.
- Study at least 2 hours for every hour you sit in class.
- Space your study sessions, change subjects hourly, and divide the material.
- Study in a distraction-free environment.
- Study when your mind is most receptive to learning.
- Use active studying techniques.
- Use a five-day study plan for each exam.
- Self test prior to exams.
- Use previous exams as a learning tool.
- UA Tutors are available for 1-on-1 sessions and chat tutoring.
- Academic Coaches are available to work on study skills, time management, and more.
- Writing Studio Consultants are available for assistance on written work.
- The MRTC offers tutors, computers, and a quiet place for all university math students.
- University Libraries has resources available for all students, including research librarians, study spaces, and more.
- Go to your professor's office hours.
- Manage your health and social life.
- Evaluate your performance periodically.
- Get outside for sunshine and exercise.
- Drinks lots of water and eat well.
- On exam days, get up early, shower, drink coffee, and do practice problems. Take a 30 minute break before the exam begins.